Many years ago there was a simple choice to make when deciding to move home: Either opt for the very cheap, often un-insured and unreliable removal man/company, or pay the earth and hopefully receive the level of service reflected in that price.
Because of this dilemma, Chess Moves Removals was created with the sole aim to provide you with a professionally recognised, safe and stress free Removal Service, which doesn’t cost you the earth.
Situated in the South of England, in the heart of Brighton & Hove, Chess Moves Removals specialise in all aspects of domestic and commercial nation wide or international removals.
We have a hand picked team all across the board who are the most experienced and friendly specialists in the profession, who will take the utmost care when handling your removal. Knowing this will help keep you calm during what could notoriously be, a very stressful period.
Our expert packers are on hand to completely prepare your property for removal via our “Full Packing” or “Export Wrapping” services. These are optional extras, however if you would like to make a start on some packing yourself why not scan though our Packing Materials which can be either collected or delivered. A "Full Packing” service will see fully insured experts arrive prior to your move to wrap, pack and prepare everything in your home/office. “Part Packing” services are also on offer if you would like to pack yourself but leave the more delicate items.
Chess Moves can also offer fully insured containerised indoor storage. If your moving chain is being held up and you don't want to loose your buyer, you are moving away, or you simply want to create more space in your home: Short or long term storage, from single items to whole house contents, can be accommodated at affordable prices in one of our purpose built storage locations. We can also collect your items, store them temporarily while you await a suitable delivery date anywhere in the country.
In the unlikely event of an accident, we have insurance polices to cover all situations. Not just your basic “transit insurance”, but absolutely everything is covered, from property to belongings, from start to finish.*
Chess Moves are happy to offer free impartial advice on the phone, to see you in safe hands from the start of your move. Why not give us a call and see if we can help, or if it’s easier, simply arrange a quote online.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and feel free to pick up any tips from "our moving guide” as featured in property magazines/newspapers here in the south.
Make a Smart Move, make a Chess Move.
*In accordance with our terms and conditions which are sent to you with your quotation.
Please note that all work carried out by Chess Moves Removals shall be done so in accordance with the following Terms and Conditions
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS CONTRACT
As set out by our Insurers
1. These terms and conditions form the basis of the contract between us Chess Moves and you the customer. It defines and sets out the rights, obligations, and responsibilities of both you and us under this contract. It does include provisions that limit our responsibilities and potential liability to you.
2. Where we use the word “you” or “your” it means the customer; “we”, “us” or “our” means us, Chess Moves. Where we use the word “goods” this refers to the items that are to be moved and/or stored.
3. It is important that you read and understand the terms and conditions of this contract, as once signed, it becomes legally binding. If there is anything that you do not understand or do not wish to agree to, then please discuss it with us before signing and returning to us. Only enter into this contract if you wish to be bound by the terms and conditions set out below.
OWNERSHIP OF THE GOODS
4. You hereby confirm that you are either the owner of the goods and/or are duly authorised by the owner or owners of the goods to enter into this contract on these terms and conditions, on their behalf.
5. You shall be responsible for any losses or other costs incurred by us if an untrue statement is made deliberately by you and/or the statement at clause 4 not being true.
GOODS THAT WE WILL NOT ACCEPT FOR REMOVAL / STORAGE
6. We will happily remove and/or store most items that you may wish to submit for removal. However we are, subject to clauses 7-9 below, unable in the normal course of business to accept any of the following types of items:
(a) Any living thing, including any animals, birds, fish and plants or any goods that are likely to encourage vermin or other pests or to cause infestation
(b) Any goods that require a special licence
(c) Any goods that require government permission to import or export
(d) Any drugs, prohibited, illegal or stolen goods
(e) Any food and/or drink that is, or needs to be, refrigerated or frozen (applies for storage only)
(f) Any goods that are potentially dangerous or explosive. This includes, but is not limited to, firearms, ammunition, paints, aerosols, gas bottles and canisters
(g) Any jewellery, including trinkets and watches, and precious stones or metals or items made from precious metals or including precious stones
(h) Any money, securities, financial or legal documents, including but not limited to share certificates and leases
(i) Any collections of stamps, coins or other similar collectable items.
7. If you intend to submit any such items for removal and/or storage you must declare this to us in advance of the removal being undertaken. In such circumstances we shall not be obliged to move and/or store the items in question unless we have confirmed in writing that we are willing to do so (please refer your quote). If we do agree to accept such items for removal and/or storage then we shall not be liable for any loss or damage that occurs due to the special nature or sensitivities of the goods involved. Other than this exclusion we remain liable for any other losses as normal under this contract.
8. If such items are removed and/or stored by us without our knowledge and written agreement to do so then we shall not be liable for any loss or damage to those items whatsoever. Furthermore in such circumstances you shall be responsible for any losses, expenses, or other costs incurred by us which are caused by the special nature of the items in question, such as but not limited to clean up costs and damage to other goods.
WHAT WE WILL DO
9. We shall:
(a) pack the goods, if we have quoted for, and agreed with you to do so
(b) remove them at the agreed time and date and deliver to the delivery address
(c) store them, if we have quoted for, and agreed with you to do so.
We shall at all times care for the goods whilst they are in our custody and control showing all reasonable care in the circumstances. We furthermore will endeavour to act and undertake our obligations at all times in a professional manner.
10. We shall only remove or deliver items into a loft or similar space, if it is safe, which shall include but shall not be limited to being adequately lit and floored, and the access to it being safe.
11. We hold insurance, with a specialist insurer, to cover our potential liability to you for loss or damage to your goods or for any losses arising. The insurance is subject to terms and policy excess paid by you if a claim were to be made. This excess charge is £50. If you would like more detail as to the level of insurance we hold we would be delighted to refer you to our insurance brokers who will discuss the level of cover further, if we cannot answer any queries you may have.
WHAT WE WILL NOT DO
12. The following are certain things, which we can do at our discretion, but are not covered for:
(a) dismantling or assembling flat pack furniture, or a property’s fitments or fittings
(b) disconnecting or reconnecting any equipment or appliances
(c) securing or preparing for transit, equipment or appliances, such as but not limited to securing washing machine drums
(d) taking up or laying fitted floor coverings of any kind
(e) removing storage heaters unless they are already disconnected and adequately dismantled.
13. Although a frequent occurrence in our work, our staff are not legally authorised or qualified to carry out such work. We recommend that a qualified person/s be separately employed by you to carry out these services.
14. The contract will be formed when you sign, where indicated, and return to us. This will form a legally binding contract between you and us. That contract will be subject to these terms and conditions. You should only sign and return the contract if you are happy with the quotation and these contract terms and conditions and wish to enter into a legally binding contract on these terms and conditions.
15. If you seek to amend the quotation we reserve the right to either reject the alterations suggested and not undertake the work for you, or to re-quote for it, subject to your proposed amendments.
16. The following matters or circumstances have not, unless otherwise agreed, been taken into account or included in the quotation:
(a) Removal and/or storage of extra goods that have not been shown or made known to us
(b) Extra services (e.g. taking goods to a different location which had not been quoted for)
(c) Removal and/or storage of any goods mentioned at clause 6
(d) Any costs, charges or fees that are incurred, including parking fees and permits, in undertaking any removal. It is recommended that you arrange this at least 2 weeks prior to moving (if applicable)
(e) The properties involved not having proper and/or adequate access. This includes, but is not limited to, not being able to park within 20 metres of the door to the property, the access being unsuitable for our vehicles or the property being inadequate for the free and easy movement of the goods into and within the property.
(f) Changes to our costs due to changes in currency values, taxation or freight charges, which are beyond our reasonable control.
(g) Delays occurring for reasons that are outside our reasonable control
(h) the total value of the goods being in excess of £50,000.
17. If the removal and/or storage does include any of the matters set out at clause 16, and the quotation was not adjusted to take these into account, then you will pay to us the extra costs and expenses incurred, if any, because of the effect of those matters.
DECLARATION OF VALUE
18. The value of the goods, for the purposes of this contract, shall be their current replacement cost, including due allowance in respect of age, wear and tear and depreciation. All compensation for loss and/or damage shall be calculated on this basis and not on a “new for old” basis.
19. Under the terms and conditions of this contract we have assumed that the value of the goods submitted for removal or storage does not exceed £25,000.00 per vanload. Unless a higher limit is declared our liability to you under this contract for loss and/or damage to the goods shall be limited to a total of £25,000.00 per vanload.
20. As we do not know the value of the goods to be submitted for removal and/or storage. We are giving you the chance to discuss and agree different amounts as set out in clause 21. If the goods are worth more than a total of £25,000.00 per vanload we ask that you tell us and declare the actual value to us.
21. Subject to our written consent to the increased value, we will uplift our total potential liability for loss and/or damage to the goods under this contract from £25,000.00 per vanload to the value you have declared. We shall increase the quotation for the amount of the cost of the extra premium.
22. Whilst we have many important responsibilities under this contract there are some matters that you must be responsible for. These are:
(a) Declaring to us, in accordance with clause 20, the value of your goods if you wish for our total potential liability for loss and/or damage to the goods to be more than £25,000.00 per vanload
(b) Checking that all the goods are both collected and delivered & checking that nothing is collected and/or delivered in error
(c) Obtaining all necessary permits, licences, customs documents etc that may be necessary
(d) Preparing the property and goods for the removal, including but not limited to disconnecting all relevant appliances and electronic equipment and emptying and de-frosting any fridges and freezers
(e) Arranging proper security and protection for any goods that will be left in premises which will be unattended or to which third parties may have access either prior to collection or following delivery.
23. You must, before the commencement of the removal and/or storage, provide us with a contact number and address, which we can use if we need to contact you during the removal and/or storage of the goods. If these details change you must inform us. If we contact you in writing using the details you have provided we will be entitled to assume that you have duly received any communication from us.
24. You shall be responsible for any losses, expenses or other costs incurred by us arising from your failure to attend to any of the matters set out at clauses 21-23 unless that loss was in fact caused by our negligence.
POSTPONEMENT AND CANCELLATION
25. By agreeing to undertake the removal and/or storage we incur costs in preparing for it and also lose the opportunity to undertake further work that would use the same resources. Because of this we may suffer loss if you cancel this removal or storage or postpone it. The amount we will potentially lose will depend on when the cancellation and/or postponement occurs.
26. If you cancel or postpone more than 14 days before the removal date then there shall be no charge.
27. If you cancel or postpone less than 14 days but more than 8 days before the removal date then you shall be required to pay to us a charge equivalent of 30% of the agreed charge(s).
28. If you cancel or postpone less than 14 days but more than 8 days before the removal date then you shall be required to pay to us a charge equivalent of 30% of the agreed charge(s).
29. If you cancel or postpone less than 24 hours before the removal date then you shall be required to pay us a charge equivalent of 90% of the agreed charge(s).
PAYMENT OF OUR CHARGES
30. Payment for all removal services, will be taken either prior to or during the removal.
31. You will pay any other charges or monies that may become due or payable under this contract within 30 days of us sending you an invoice or request for the same.
32. Interest shall accrue and you shall pay it on all overdue or outstanding monies at a rate of 4% above the base rate of Royal Bank of Scotland plc.
UNDERTAKING THE REMOVAL
33. We will undertake the removal and/or storage with professional care and skill and taking reasonable account of all the circumstances. However, we specifically reserve the right to undertake the removal and/or storage in a manner that we think is appropriate including:
(a) sub-contracting all or part of the job to another professional removal company
(b) choosing the route we think is most effective
(c) using such vehicles, containers and methods of transport as we believe are appropriate.
34. This does not however affect our responsibilities under this contract to take care of your goods and to provide the services within the appropriate timescales.
OUR LIABILTY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE
35. We shall, subject to the exclusions set out below, be responsible for any loss/damage done to the goods whilst they are in our custody and control under the terms and conditions of this contract.
36 .If goods are lost or are damaged beyond repair then our liability will be, at most, the value of the goods lost or damaged beyond repair, as defined by clause 18.
37. If goods are damaged but can be repaired then our liability will be, at most, the repair cost plus the amount that the goods have reduced in value, if at all, because of the repair.
38. In respect of any particular item our liability will not, under any circumstances, exceed the value of the item in question, as defined by clause 18.
WHAT WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR
39. We shall not be responsible for any claim for loss or damage to the goods or for delay where the total claim amounts to less than a total of £50.
40. Where any item forms part of a pair/set we shall not be liable for more than the value of that particular item, without reference to any special value which such item may have as part of a pair/set.
41. We shall not under any circumstances be responsible or liable for any consequential or indirect losses, including but not limited to loss of profits or lost opportunity.
42. Unless losses occur because of negligence on our part, we will not be liable for losses arising from:
(a) War, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities (whether declared or not), civil war, terrorism, rebellion and/or coup, Act of God, industrial action or other events outside our reasonable control
(b) Incidence of moths, vermin or similar infestation
(c) Electrical or mechanical derangement to any appliance or equipment including Plasma Televisions unless there is convincing evidence of external impact damage
(d) Any inherent defect in the goods
(e) Changes of atmospheric or climatic conditions
(f) Damage to motor bikes/any motored vehicle unless we’ve issued a pre-collection condition report
(g) Damage to any motor bike or other motored vehicle moving under its own power other than ours during the normal course of loading and unloading.
43. Unless losses occur because of negligence on our part, we will not be liable for:
(a) Loss / damage to the goods that occurs before we have taken possession and control of the goods
(b) Loss / damage to the goods that occurs after we have delivered or handed over the goods to you or to a party nominated by you
(c) Damage to goods that arises from careful handling, where we have not packed those goods. This includes goods packed in wardrobes, drawers, cases, boxes or other type of container regardless of the apparent quality of the packing. Also excluding losses for missing items or goods not packed by us unless an itemised valued list of the contents of each package, box or container is supplied by you to us prior to commencement of the removal.
44. We shall not be liable for any loss or damage to any goods once 7 full days have passed after completion of the removal. Section B of the disclaimer will need to be signed once a removal has been completed. This shall be presented after the removal. If it is not signed, the 7 days will commence from the removal date on the original quote you accepted.
45. We shall not be responsible or liable if you submit any of the goods listed at clause 6, without our agreement, in accordance with clause 7. Such goods shall be removed entirely at your risk.
46. No specific employee of ours shall be liable to you for any loss/damage or breach of this contract.
DELAYS IN TRANSIT
47. If the collection or delivery of the goods is delayed because of our negligence, we will pay your reasonable expenses that arise as a result of the delay, such as but not limited to reasonable hotel costs subject to our written consent (signed hand written letters also accepted) before booking with said accommodation. This does not include circumstances out of our control such as delays with a solicitor releasing keys, traffic jams or road accidents.
48. Under no circumstances shall our liability for delay exceed a total of £1000.
49. Other than as set out in clauses 47 and 48, we shall not be responsible for and shall not have to
compensate you in respect of any costs or losses arising from delay.
50. If we are unable to deliver the goods due to delays we may take them into storage. Other than where the delay results from our negligence, the original removal contract will then be fulfilled and any additional service(s), including storage charges and re-delivery, will be provided at your expense.
DAMAGE TO ANY ITEMS OR PROPERTY OTHER THAN THE GOODS BEING REMOVED
51. We will not be liable for any damage whether to premises, property or the goods as a result of moving goods under your express instruction, and against our advice because moving the goods in the manner instructed will inevitably cause damage.
52. In any event we shall only be liable for damage to premises or property, other than the goods being submitted for removal and/or storage, where such damage arises due to negligence on our part.
53. Where damage to premises or property, other than the goods being submitted for removal does occur, we must ask that you inform us within 7 full days after the removal or signing of section B on the disclaimer. In the absence of such notification we will not be able to accept any liability for the damage. When receiving goods from storage only, no claims can be made upon signing the disclaimer to acknowledge goods have been delivered/collected in a certifiable condition.
NOTIFICATION OF CLAIMS & TIME LIMITS FOR CLAIMS
54. In a case where we deliver goods you must notify us of any visible loss or damage to any goods at the time of delivery. This should be noted on the disclaimer as outlined in clause 53.
55. In a case of loss or non-delivery of all of the goods the claim must be notified within 7 days after the anticipated delivery date. This time limit will apply unless you, request a time extension within the 7 day period, and such extension is agreed by us in writing. We will not unreasonably refuse to grant such an extension of time.
OUR RIGHT TO WITHHOLD OR DISPOSE OF THE GOODS (LIEN)
56. We may keep hold of all or some of your goods until you have paid all the charges you owe us, even if the unpaid charges do not amount to the current value of those goods.
57. We may sell all or some of your goods to recover any unpaid charges. We can only do this after giving you 30 days written notice. If we do sell any of your goods, and the proceeds from the sale are greater than the amount you owe us, we will pay you any excess amount after deducting the cost of selling the goods, or any others costs which occurred through no fault of our own, during the selling. process, for example delivery or transport costs.
ADVICE, INFORMATION AND THE BASIS OF AGREEMENT
58. In this document we set out the terms and conditions of the contract between us. Please do not rely on promises or claims, verbally made that contradict the terms and conditions of this document. In the event of any apparent contradiction between these terms and conditions and a promise or claim made please refer to us for clarification.
LAW AND JURISDICTION
59. This contract shall be subject to exclusive English law and jurisdiction.
60. Our insurance parties consider the provisions contained in this contract fair.
THESE CONDITIONS HAVE BEEN PREPARED BY CHESS MOVES REMOVALS & VALIDATED BY LEGAL REPRESENTATIVES OF REASON & CO. (S.E.) LTD AND ARE SUBJECT TO COPYRIGHT.